Monday, April 29, 2013

I lost my high school yearbook during a move when I was around 21. At the time it seemed like a big deal, but it was nowhere near what I felt when a box of rare movie soundtrack LPs disappeared in transit during a later move. Over the subsequent years I was spared those idle moments browsing through the yearbook & wondering, "Whatever happened to so & so?" Without the yearbook I remembered everyone worth remembering. But I still miss Malcolm Arnold's soundtrack from The Roots of Heaven, the deluxe MGM box for Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny on the Bounty with the souvenir book, & Nino Rota's music for the 1956 flop War & Peace

Mutiny On the Bounty is a good movie, maligned more than it deserves. Sometimes it seems as if Marlon Brando & Trevor Howard think they're in different films. Brando's fop Fletcher Christian was controversial (compared to manly Gable in 1935), but his character is just as distinctive & memorable  as Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday in Tombstone. The shipboard scenes are terrific, realistic & harrowing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?