Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

At the end of the day 9/11/01 I had an entirely different conception of "evil" than when the day began. Mainly, I was certain it existed in the world & one could not call it anything else.

Evil manifests itself through humans & our actions & institutions. I had been confusing evil with something else, something in the natural order of things. What I observed in nature could be a "fallen" world. But it wasn't evil.

I understood why theologian Paul Tillich, who repudiated supernaturalism, used the word demonic & used it quite often. He had experienced WWI from the German side & witnessed the rise of Hitler.

I haven't found the word to describe how 9/11 changed me. The term conservatism doesn't apply. Certainly related, but not in a political or even religious sense. Not how it's used in America.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?