Saturday, June 23, 2012

If we drove the streets around the perimeter of Roselle Park NJ,  I could easily show & explain how a one-sq mile town plunked down in the middle of similar towns & neighborhoods was able to maintain an island-like insularity. "Parkers" enjoy  discussing  all the aspects of this insularity except one: Its racism. Roselle Park successfully remained an all-white community. It  de facto segregated itself. It still has a negligible (5%) African-American population.

I'd also show you the Sunrise Village apartment complex,  where the  last remaining large piece of privately-owned vacant property became the worst, most ill-conceived development in the history of the town.

I have never written for people from Roselle Park. It was a conscious decision  I made during college. I didn't want my memories & opinions subjected to provincial nitpicking.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?