Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Occasionally I'll share some article or expression of my progressive/liberal views on my Facebook wall. My intent is not to annoy any of my handful of conservative FB friends.  If it were, I'd post something like this to their walls. I don't comment on their conservative posts.

One of these Repug conservative friends commented on this graphic,   "I don't even think Harry believed all that stuff. I actually think I would have liked Harry from what I know of him." He added that he believed it was "campaign talk."

I replied, "Don't kid yourself. He believed every one." President Harry didn't mean that all Republicans were as he said they were on every issue; that, of course, was campaign rhetoric. He did mean that he was definitely not a Republican. He was a Democrat, successor to Franklin Roosevelt.  Every issue he mentions here is domestic policy.

These post-Reagan Repugs think Bill Clinton & Barack Obama are real liberals. They also can't or won't recall when the Republican Party wasn't exclusively whacko reactionaries. Even if they're old enough, they just gradually slipped & slid into the slime with rest of the Party. Back when the Democrats had most of the southern  racists it took stones for a Democratic President to promote some liberal policies, especially in civil rights. Now, all Republicans are as Harry Truman characterized them. He'd probably be shocked by the change. But up  to dealing with it. 




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?