Tuesday, May 17, 2011
The power generally goes out here in CA when it's hot and everyone has their air conditioners on. It went out a couple of weeks ago when we hit the 90's, but it is especially bad when it's over 100. I have my laptop which works without for a few hours before the batteries are run down. Candles and lanterns and flashlights, of course. My battery AM radio, and my battery DVD/CD player. I used to have an old analog television on batteries, but since they went digital, I've yet to buy one, although they are finally down to about $79 bucks. Most important to have here are portable FANS! When that air conditioner goes off, it gets really hot really fast.
The thing I learned most from the Northridge quake was to have slippers or shoes and a flashlight nearby. In the dark and stepping over broken glass was the pits.