Thursday, August 12, 2010

I just ran into an old acquaintance at 7-11. By old, I mean I've known him for over 20 years. I was aware  he resided with his long-time girlfriend somewhere in Elizabeth, & I've known her just as long & maybe longer.  He's a genuinely nice man, & a good musician.  But his approach to music is so different from mine, so narrowly obsessed with technique  that there's a fundamental difference in how he derives pleasure from music.  So, whenever we discussed music, I'd become annoyed after about five minutes.  He's the kind of musician who could practice scales for hours & enjoy it more than playing songs. For him, technique isn't a means. He isn't expanding it toward mastering   a more difficult music.    It's not  his fault, it's his natural temperament, I suppose.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?