Sunday, March 21, 2010

Passed

I want to thank my Congressman, Donald M. Payne, & give a special shout out to American nuns, who chose a most opportune moment to upstage the corrupt bosses Bishops.

New Jersey now has a one-term Democratic congressman named John Adler. Elected with 51.7% thanks to Obama, a weak opponent, & a huge money advantage, he's determined to lose re-election on principle, which is commendable - in the sense that Ulysses S. Grant commended Robert E. Lee. The principle requires opposition to Democratic health care reform. His "no" vote loses several thousand Democratic votes while gaining him no Republican votes. Republicans will praise his principles before voting for John Runyan, a former NFL player with a knucklehead reputation. Of course, Adler can always switch parties & take his chances.

But I don't think voting "yes" on the health reform makes incumbent Democratic reps more vulnerable than they already were. The economy & general distrust of politicians will drive the election. Failure to pass health reform would only have made the Democrats appear more ineffective. Republicans can't claim they would have done it differently, because everyone knows they intended to do nothing at all. As pundits note, you can't compare the President to Hitler & Stalin & then cooperate with him. Now they ought to at least decide if he's Hitler or Stalin & stick with the choice.

No doubt many on the right will suggest that the close vote makes it a tie in spirit. Of course, many of the most historically important votes in Congress have been decided by narrow margins along highly partisan lines.

Comments:
I pick Stalin. You are correct about Adler. His election in a highly republican distict was a fluke to begin with. He was a one termer no matter how he voted tonight, but he believed his "no" would help with his constituents. Thankfully my Congressman, Rodney Frelinghuysen voted no as I had hoped, and he will easily win re-election. I'm sure you know that it is unlikely the "fixes" as written through the Senate, so in essence what we will get is the Senate version. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama cancels his EO on abortion and sticks it to Stupak. I hope he does.
 
While I can't speak to the New Jersey aspect regarding votes, since I don't live in New Jersey, I think most of you know my opinion on this watered down bill to begin with.

And, as usual, the party of "NO" stuck to its guns and voted "NO."

How's that bipartisanship working for this country?

Ha ha.

Alas, despite your wonderful support for me as a person in my troubled times with my daughter, we still are 180 degrees apart politically, Tony.
 
Carrie, yes ideologically we are 180 degrees apart, and in the real world, that would not affect friendship. But, and this is a very big BUT, I think we are in a 360 when in comes to Obama, I'm just spinning to the right and you are spinning to left. LOL! Bob, on the other hand is the centered voice of reason.
 
I'm neither centered nor the voice of reason. I'm just passive-aggressive.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?