Friday, January 01, 2010

January 1

No specific resolutions. Yeah, one, broaden the music I listen to, be more curious, have more fun with it.

I'd like to get back to a blogger book I started a year ago, a poetry collection. Doing a blog in book format is a pain. For a start, it has to be posted in reverse page order, with time stamp formatting removed. I was proceeding slowly, too slowly, because the posting requirements made it difficult to shift poems around. But I had a basic template & was tinkering with it. Then I realized the template wasn't giving the longer lines enough width & was breaking them - a no no, & I impulsively tried a "new" template without copying the old one or retaining the option to go back to what's called "classic template" & lost the formatting.

Facebook exchange with a journalist I like:
Hank Kalet: Avatar lives up to the hype -- parable of Afghanistan & the rapaciousness of corporate control

Bob Rixon: That's what us cultural elites are supposed to believe it is, to give us the faint hope that's what rhe typical viewer understands it to mean.

Hank Kalet: I don't know if the typical viewer picks up on it, but I suspect that the shift in public consciousness on the war has made the public more receptive to the story's anticorporate underpinnings.

Bob Rixon: I'm not a cynic. It reminds me there ain't enough Southern Baptists in the world to control the marketplace of profitable ideas
Facebook delivers what I want from it, & I get it by limiting my "friends" mostly to people whose postings I actually want to see, whether links to their writing & art or an interesting article, snapshots of their kids or dogs or kids with dogs, or just the occasional wry comment. I can send "Happy Birthday" greetings as reminded, & you can never receive enough of those. I see daily photos of Asbury Park, & lots of old Jersey shore postcards. Nobody becomes my friend because they vaguely recall me from high school (only a few girls I liked have made it), or are trying to collect all show-archived WFMU DJs on Facebook & finally reached my name way down on the list but have no interest in why I'm on the list. I'm "friends" with a great composer, Pauline Oliveros, & a great pianist, Neely Bruce, who interact with their friends & fans. I'm friends with a bunch of poets. Some "friends" I wish were more active. I have only two "friends" on "hide," one because he posted about 20 videos every day, & the other because I respect him but his every Facebook posting is swarmed by sycophants.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?