Monday, January 11, 2010

Medical Marijuana

Medical marijuana approved in New Jersey

This is strict legislation compared to California, in both eligibility & how pot is dispensed. The only objection that made much sense was concern that people picking up their legal marijuana might become targets for robbery, a legitimate concern in Jersey. Any law that decriminalizes pot to some extent is good, as I think enforcement of misdemeanor possession laws is a waste of time for cops. & that includes following the scent to a secluded area of a large public park on a Summer afternoon.

I don't smoke pot; I gave it up because it makes me too aware of my surroundings & therefore tense & paranoid rather than relaxed & sociable. But I liked the effect it had on my hearing & eyesight. I've spent many pleasurable hours listening to music, wandering through art galleries, & walking on the beach after smoking good pot. For years, I rarely set foot on a Jersey boardwalk after dark without first toking up. Pot was, particularly with music, an aid to learning. It helped me break down music into component parts & to better understand forms.

Musicians have always used it integrate the parts. Pot was the not-so-secret ingredient in the magic of the old Count Basie Orchestra, playing head arrangements without written charts. I think heroin had the opposite effect; it made musicians imagine they were connecting when they were actually quite alone in their own minds. Smack undermined collectivity, even gave it a bad rep during the 1950's until Ornette & then Coltrane made it hip again. Charlie Parker's ideas & playing were great for jazz; the myth of heroin's importance in Parker's genius destroyed many great artists including Bird himself.

The average Jerseyan probably won't even notice medical marijuana. The important debate is in California, a state so fallen economically that they're desperate for the tax revenues legalized grass might provide.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I stopped smoking daily about two years ago, after thirty years of smoking probably two grams or more a day (that's like four to six joints). As I got older, and my heart problems got more out of control, I found out that smoking had a tendency to speed up the heart rate -- hence the discontinuance. Now, I take a hit off the bong once or twice a week.

Funny, I don't miss it, and because I don't smoke as much as I used to, I find I get that stupid paranoid anxiety if I take more than a couple of hits. Sad (laughs).
 
You never lose it. All my late night radio shows include pot-smoker friendly sets. I can watch a dandelion grow if I'm in the mood.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?