Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Other Favorites

My annual 10 Fav list is music & books (I make no claims to best or greatest). If I expanded the list, other things would be on it. I thought I'd mention a few as they occurred to me.

Basic cellphone service. I had no objections to cellphones, knew having one would be useful. But Verizon kept jacking rates up on my no frills landline service, which I need. I didn't want to sign a contract. I didn't like Tracfone or any other pay-as-you-go service's phone card expiration dates & confusing "double minute" offers. I had no desire to text, tweet, take photos, download ringtones, or post mobile to my Facebook page. Then I found a guaranteed full year service that included a basic cellphone with 68 monthly rollover minutes, for which I could purchase & add minutes. So I signed up, invested in some additional rollover minutes, & I carry the phone everywhere. Coverage is fine in my area. I feel more secure.

Glen Jones' white Crown Victoria. First, Glen is a physically large man. Second, he has to drive on the Jersey Turnpike in the middle of the night. Third, he always has his own style of doing things - a style I appreciate. I knew he had purchased a CV cruiser, & I was delighted when he rolled up in a car like this one (I didn't know he was in town), with his companion Gina, on a chilly dark evening in Elizabeth NJ to give me a much needed lift home from the other side of downtown. "This is a swell ride," I said. Has a driver's side police spotlight, too.

New mailboxes. Flimsy old mailboxes were in downstairs hall. Magazines & larger envelopes scrunched, packages didn't fit. The postal delivery person left packages & boxes in the hallway, at best a note to pick up at post office. I ordered CDs that never showed up, there's always a few shifty tenants, so I wouldn't have any package delivered here USPS. Now I have a spacious, large flat box with a strong lock, & a secure box for larger packages underneath. Hypothetically, the delivery person takes outgoing mail. Only con is I have to remember to collect mail when I'm coming or going outside.

Barack Obama's Inauguration. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end. I just keep reminding myself who he & Joe Biden replaced, & how much sh*t was dumped on him. Also like that he's familiar with Howlin' Wolf's music & the lyrics to "Maggie's Farm" by Bob Dylan.




7-Eleven 12 oz. refillable coffee cup. I have quite a collection of these snap lid, no leak, microwaveable cups in various designs, sold for $1.49 or less including coffee. They're handy food storage containers. But my favorite at home coffee mug is - whenever I have one - a disposable cardboard coffee cup.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
is Jonesy's car the "Police Interceptor" edition?

is the 7-11 coffee mug dishwasher-safe?

I need to know these things.
 
Car is a CVPI. The cup is dishwasher safe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?