Thursday, December 31, 2009

Decade

I'm one of those annoying people who points out that when we count to ten we don't start with zero.

Happy New Year.

Being home (or within walking distance) has been my New Year's Eve for a long time. I took myself off the roads after the Eve I drove home on Route One, soberly, from South Brunswick to Rahway as all the franchise pubs & restaurants closed. I was coming from a small party at the home of couple who were expert cocktail chemists. She had introduced me to The Martini with the counsel, "Drink one of these & you'll think you're the handsomest guy in the world. Drink two & I'll be the most beautiful woman." Made me understand why dull commuters knocked them back at Penn Station. Mixed just right, they're meant to be lingered over. They didn't keep a large stock, but what they had was always choice. As I'm basically a non-drinker, an occasional excursion into cocktaildom was always fun, & I slept on their couch. But this night they had relatives staying with them, so I drank Pepsi all evening.

What little curiosity I had regarding Times Square on New Year's Eve disappeared altogether when that place was "improved."

Later: Nivea bought the night. The spectacle of all those blue top hats just isn't uncool enough to be cool.

Had a pleasant evening, downloaded a couple of free funky jazz organ albums, thanks to Doug Schulkind's Mining the Motherload.

Labels:


Comments:
When was 1 A.D. Was it counted the day that Jesus was born or when he turned 1 year old? Did Jesus die in 33 A.D.? Jesus died after completing 33 years on earth and was living his 34th. When we count our age we are 1 year old after living 1 year. During that year we are living our first year. When I turned 10 years old I lived completely 10 years and am starting my eleventh. I am into my second decade. My first decade was from my birth (0) to my 10th Birthday. In April I will be 50 years old (completed). I believe the number one describs the interval between 0 and 1, number two the interval between 0 and 2. A decade in review for Jesus would have been his birth to his 10th birthday, his second decade would have been from his 10th birthday to his 20th. When the calendar turned to 1000, it marked the millenium from Jesus’s birth (0) to 1000 years, completed. the second mellenium began at this point. Hence the new mellenium started on 2000. I do not understand those who argue that 2001 should be the start of the new mellenium, just as those who argue that 2010 is not the end of a decade.
 
I use my view to argue for two years of big parties rather than one, & I know you'd go along with that.
 
I don't care. I just love streaming the NYC celebration live from the warmth of my living room in Hollywood!

Happy New year, regardless.
 
I gripe about New Years in Times Square because I was stupid & didn't go when I was 18 & it's an adventure you have just because - what else you gonna do on New Year's Eve in Jersey then except get on the train & go?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?