Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A ride to the library

Last evening, my friend Gina, who lives a couple of blocks away, picked me up & we drove to the library & supermarket, five minutes away by car. Gina's offered to do this for years for my convenience, & we rarely get to socialize (we'd also enjoy hanging out & watching TV on a weeknight) & I never took her up on it. She's heard me gripe about not being able to check out enough books & carry enough food at one time. The whole errand trip took about 90 minutes door-to-door, & I can knock 30 off that by choosing & reserving books ahead of time, & having a shopping list for Shoprite rather than Pathmark. Shoprite has a much faster checkout & better deli counter. My list wasn't much longer than when I walk, but it had heavy stuff & bulky stuff. I also checked out five books. I may not read them all. Gina got some essentials & I'm sure paid less than she does at the pricier supermarket near her business. Plus something tasty her other store doesn't even carry. It'll really be worth her while if her brand of cat food is on sale.

When we carried the stuff up here, I showed her the other room, where the ceiling had to be repaired, disorganized storage now but can be turned into useful space with the addition of the same heavy duty snap-together plastic shelving she uses in her basement. If I just separate the boxes of books from everything else in there, it'll fall into place. For all my clutter, I once had a simple filing system that allowed me to locate any document & paperwork. The individual files were messy, but I knew a desired document was in a specific labeled file & all I needed to do was dump it out dig a bit.

With a little more effort I could usually locate a book. Mainly I want access to my art books, small collection of rare poetry & Jerseyana, & books by friends. I've carted boxes of fine books to poetry readings to find them good homes. Just take 'em. I 'm not a true bibliophile, never was. When you read & have lots of interests, you find books you want at cheap prices. Before the Internet, I valued reference books of all sorts. But it's been a long time since I've been tempted into Bag Day at a large library book sale.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?