Thursday, October 29, 2009

slacking

I've been slacking. Ought to have hauled my butt cross town this afternoon via taxi & waited as long as necessary to see shrink for ten minutes, hand him some forms to fill out, receive Ambien refill. But I got up late, made a slow start & then a big mess, cellphone battery was signaling low & since the phone proved its value last week I should always have it with me now. Bathing is time-consuming. Had to do a load of laundry while the machine was available. I know the heavy lifting begins next week.

I so need to gain some weight that I'm almost compelled to eat a packaged 99 cent glazed honey bun from 7/11. High in fat & calories, low in anything good, incredibly tasty dunked in hot coffee & reduced to a gooey, dripping, finger-licking mess of dough. I got through 1/2 of it, 295 calories. Stick some granola & raisins on it, price it $3 as an energy bar.

Ken Burns' National Parks documentary is a yawn. Peter Coyote's somnolent narration; the predictably melancholy "rustic" music; mostly lacking in suspense & nearly devoid of the wonderment & ecstatic emotions the scenery inspires; the obligatory nods to revisionist history; the expected digressions into peculiar side stories. The subject itself wasn't desperately in need of an epic, PBS historical telling. In the past few months, I've seen two other excellent documentaries on national parks; one on the linking of the western parks by improved roads, spurred by wealthy tourists with cars; the other on the design of national park buildings, both drawing on Ken Burns style.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?