Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Whew, that was a scare. I carefully unpacked & set up & hooked together the new PC & monitor in the other room - in a few days it'll switch places with the old PC. Wanted to make sure it booted up & worked, let Windows do automatic set up thing, become a little familiar, & check the basic settings. The monitor resolution had to be changed because the start button & desktop icons were hanging somewhere off in space to the left of the monitor. Not making any major decisions or loading software or transferring files Look through at the introductions, poke around, & shut it down. There' no hard copy manual for the PC or Windows. Tomorrow I'll make the original configuration virgin restore disks; right now I have only CDRs & want to record them on DVDs. Windows doesn't supply an o/s disk with the preloaded version of Vista. In the middle of this there's a 15 second brownout. My neighborhood has a lot of short power outtages. So of course both PCs shut down, the ancient clock radio blinked to 12:00, & the old-fashioned phone message machine erased my digital greeting. Oh crap. I thought if this new baby hasn't imprinted itself yet & can't handle the situation I am really screwed.

The old PC has no problem with power shutoffs. Turn it back on, it automatically runs a quick scan, the desktop appears, that's it.

Came through it alright. First music played on new PC: Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich, performed by Grand Valley State New Music Ensemble.

Unreal, I'll even have a cellphone in a few days, a special deal for people who don't use them much. I'll probably be in Dunkin' Donuts using up the minutes calling the people who complain I never call. I've reached the new millenium.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?