Thursday, September 10, 2009

New spare change rule

I hand out spare change. Usually depends upon how much I got jangling in my pocket. I had two rules: I don't want to hear the word "borrow" in the appeal; & I never give change as payment for some unwanted "service," like playing doorman at a downtown coffee shop or trying to help me buy a train ticket from the machine. It's often a form of intimidation. It isn't subcontracted employment. If they can hang around the train station all day actively pestering people, they can offer to sweep a store's sidewalk & pick up the trash or something useful, & it also shows they have enough control & attention span to go to the social services office or St. Joseph's & discuss their situations with a social worker. I don't care what they do with the change. Or I didn't until I saw the guy who often lurks around 7/11 asking for change sitting out in front of the store scratching off a lottery card. Now I have a third rule. If I catch them using the money to play losing odds for more money, no more change from me.

Labels:


Comments:
I was having a bad morning last month. Someone approached me on the westbound platform at the Rahway train station and asked me for some change so he could buy a train ticket to _________. I've been asked the same question on the platform for 20+ years.

I told the guy to f*** off and get a job. He stepped back and acted like I really hurt his feelings. He said that he wasn't that kind of guy, etc. etc. etc. and then proceeded to show me the sizeable WAD OF BILLS that was in his pocket. After commenting that he should have no problem buying a train ticket, I apologized for my rudness, shook his hand and we carried on our merry ways.
 
I just shrug. Except when I'm approached with an offer of help while using a bank debit card in the train ticket machine, which unnerves me. Then I have to stop & loudly say "BACK OFF." The game is mainly is to confuse & intimidate. One of those machines once ate my five dollar bill, I knew it was hopeless because the machine had reset. I decided to buy a ticket on the train - the conductors know the Elizabeth machines are often screwed up. I said to the nearby lurker who was watching, "You can keep that if you can get it." As I walked away he was desperately pushing every button on the machine.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?