Thursday, September 03, 2009

My new PC arrives tomorrow or Sat., new monitor Sat. or Tues. Thanks to George W. & the Democratic congress for the stimulus check they sent a year ago, valid for year, set aside & not deposited until three weeks ago when I began shopping around online in earnest. If everything plugs together & boots up, it'll be at least a week until it's set up & I feel comfortable enough to bring it online & do all the downloading it'll require, then I'll post on what & why of it. Tonight I walked to Home Depot for a surge protector.
***
Browsing through cellphone brochures in Dunkin' Donuts. No frills Tracphone was easiest to understand. Virgin had more plans & was oriented toward college students. Boost featured an unsmiling black guy on front with a reddish bandana holding up a phone & the phrase, "Where you at?" underneath. Inside we learn Boost is a "tight fit for how you roll." Of the Boost walkie talkie, favorite of street corner drug crews, "Now that's real." Add more airtime to keep Boost account "on & poppin'." "Trick out your phone" with ringtones, cost deducted from your "stash of minutes." For the Spanish version, flip over the brochure, the cover is young Latina asking "¿Dónde estás?"

Comments:
I've had my puter since 2001, which I built myself. The only things changed over the years have been the fan and the hard drives. I am a firm believer of replacing the hard drive about every two years, that way you make sure you don't lose your data. Back in 2001I put in 1 gig of RAM which most people thought was crazy, especially since they were all getting along on half a gig or less. Now new puters come with a standard three gigs of RAM!

I built a new puter, and my techie is coming over this weekend to transfer data from my old hard drive to the new hard drive. I already bought the new ACER flat screen monitor, and a new printer that also is a scanner, copier and fax machine. I'm giving my old computer to my grandson. I even bought a new fancy desk, and the old armoir that housed my computer is now in my grandson's room. I also purchased new DVD burners for both puters and upgraded with external USB hubs.

My cell is prepaid, but I am happy with it. I have a Sidekick with service by T-mobile. Since I get unlimited texting, unlimited internet access, which includes use of AIM, MSN and Yahoo messenger services, and I can track up to three email accounts on the phone, all for a buck a day, I like the phone and plan. Of course, calls are still 15 cents a minute, but I am not a talker on the cell, I tend to text, which is free (or part of the buck a day, but unlimited). What's great, though, is using the phone when I am sick and in bed, I don't have to be on the computer to instant message with friends, post on my blog, or read my favorite sites on the web. Plus, the phone has a camera, voice recorder and music player. I added a gig of memory to it, so I'm good to go. I kind of want to buy the new 3G phones out there, but so far T-mobile is not offering a prepaid account for it's version. Soon, though.
 
I'd like to have a netbook. A columnist in PC magazine predicts a new generation of lower price ultrathin laps will make used & refurb netbooks cheap next year - he says well under $200. We shall see.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?