Saturday, August 08, 2009

The one before Woodstock


Atlantic City Pop Festival 40th Anniversary was a few days ago.

I wrote a blog post about not attending it. Page dedicated to it at e-RockWorld, with I was there memories typical of all rock festivals of the era, a bit suspect as to accuracy. With the exception of The Who (great), & Jimi Hendrix (I didn't see him), the AC Pop lineup was more suited to my tastes than Woodstock. Along with The Airplane, Joplin, Santana , & Creedence, Woodstock acts I liked, AC had the Mothers, Procul Harum, Booker T, The Byrds in their jam band phase, Dr. John, Tim Buckley. There were offbeat unbilled bands like AUM & Lothar & the Hand People. Apparently The Chambers Brothers replaced Johnny Winter. Joni Mitchell flopped, which would have made me laugh, she was insufferable early in her career. I had small interest in CS&N, but AC was their first live appearance, & Neil Young had made them CSN&Y. & whatever their rep now, a full length, live "In-a-gadda-da-vida" from Iron Butterfly, garage band heroes, must have been something.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I think some of those bands are still playing Atlantic City.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?