Friday, August 28, 2009

I don't recall if I voted for Jimmy Carter or Ted Kennedy in the 1980 presidential primary, or if I even voted. Probably not. Carter had the nomination wrapped up by then. My views corresponded more with Kennedy, but I wasn't an admirer of his at the time; hewas then hardly the senate statesman he subsequently became. Carter's presidency was a disappointment, the Iranian hostage crisis - featured nightly on Ted Koppel's Nightmare news program - was battering his approval ratings. But from Carter to Clinton to John Edwards I've been a sucker for New South & border state Democrats with populist messages. They're never as liberal or as tough as I hope they'll be. It's my Harry Truman hangup. I didn't blame Ted Kennedy for Carter's defeat. Carter managed that on his own. What did he gain by not being more liberal, like Ted Kennedy? Obama should think about that.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?