Sunday, August 30, 2009

Atlantic City NJ



Steel & Steeplechase Piers, Atlantic City boardwalk.
During my early adolescence, I stayed the week or two before Labor Day with my grandmother (& the week after Easter, & sometimes a week in late June & the week after Christmas). She lived on Pacific Ave. a block from the ocean, not far from Convention Hall & Million Dollar Pier. The Steel Pier was a hike.
Atlantic City boardwalk looked a lot better at night than it did in daylight. All boardwalks do. A.C. was shabby, but the boardwalk was still enough of a magnet to attract vacationers from beach towns up & down the coast, & it was crowded & lively on summer evenings.
One year, my visit corresponded with the Miss America Pageant. Another year, I wandered around the Democratic National Convention, but was ordered home by my parents the day before The Beatles came to town.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?