Saturday, July 25, 2009

Shabbat goy

There a variety of Jewish Orthodox in my neighborhood, including black fedoras, although they're way outnumbered by the yarmulkes. As I was walking near the synogogue late afternon, I saw a young black fedora guy standing in front of an apartment building, apparently waiting for someone, I supposed they'd then walk together across the street for whatever prayers they do at the conclusion of Sabbath. It was spritzing ever so slightly - & he was looking up at the clouds with a befuddled expression. Between the brimmed hat & the long sleeve dark coat he was so insulated he couldn't get a handle on the weather. I would not want to be caught in the rain without an umbrella wearing those clothes. I was wearing a tropical shirt & no hat, & as I passed him I smiled & said, "Yes, it's raining a little bit." He smiled & said, "Thanks" & moved toward the building door. The rain never came, so he got to his service dry.

(A Shabbat goy is a non-Jew who freely performs a service a Jew may not do for himself on the Sabbath. I wasn't one of those, but the spirit was similar.)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?