Sunday, January 04, 2009

North Wildwood NJ



For good fishing and crabbing try
Dad's Place
located at the Grassy Sound Toll Bridge
Modern Luncheonette
Prop,. Mr. & Mrs. Richard Harrison

I considered kicking off 2009 postcards with a great vintage motel. peculiar bar, or boardwalk scene. Then I remembered this card. Not much to look at. I know where Dad's Place was, by Hereford Inlet on the turnoff to Stone Harbor, although I'm pretty sure it was gone by the late-Eighties when I began visiting Wildwood. It looks like I would have loved hanging out there, digging the scenery & the scents, chatting with crabbers - people also just hanging out but trying to catch supper, too. Mrs. Harrison was probably in the restaurant, Mr. Harrison on the pier selling bait, renting crab traps & row boats. I was fortunate to see some of the old Grassy Sound; the two -lane concrete road across the marshes from the mainland, rickety bridges over the creeks, cottages & fishing shacks on pilings, some inhabited, some falling down, facing silted tidal ditches that hadn't been dredged in decades, abandoned boats in various states of disintegration. I could see in my imagination as it had been, 30, 40, 50 years before.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?