Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Crazy Furnace

I was gettiing ready to go to bed, have an appointment mid morning, when I heard dripping. Water was coming through the ceiling above the radiator in the other room. At first I thought it was from the guy upstairs overflowing his tub. Then I realized my radiator was blast furnace hot & leaking water, & the apt was about 100 degrees. I went into the hall, that was warm. The radiator in the hall downstairs was super hot, the one in the entry lobby breathing like a monster. The furnace is out of control. I couldn't wake up the lady who calls the people who do stuff, but I could hear her radiator hissing. Jeebus, am I the only person in the freakin' building who notices something is wrong? Are we supposed to suffocate while the ceilings collapse & the pipes boil over & burst? So I found the phone # of Louie, the local fixit guy who has the keys to everything (the owner lives in Hazlet, I think) , woke him up & 1:30 AM, identified myself, apologized, & said the furnace is stuck on & somebody has to come here, unlock the room in the basement & turn it off. He groggily said he was getting someone to do something. I won't get to sleep until it's been done. The paint bubbled off the ceiling. I took a photo. The furnace, not me, is the crazy thing in the building tonight.
[8 am update. The leaky radiator is cold, the other two warm, shower water hot.]

Labels:


Comments:
Bob, state law requires landlords to register with their local City Clerk. You can call the Elizabeth Clerk's office and see if your building is registered. This form should list the owner and superintendent's name, address and phone #. Of course, many landlords don't bother to update the registration info when it changes.

About 10 years ago, all of the smoke alarms in my building started to beep loudly at 3 a.m. I was the only idiot in the building who emerged from his apartment during the racket. Were my neighbors just really, really deep sleepers!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?