Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dark Roast

Pleasant late evening walk to the supermarket, weather next two days will not be so pleasant & I had enough coffee only for tomorrow. I prefer Chock Full O Nuts New York Blend but I'm not really picky, just has to be a dark roast.

The apt building up the street I thought was vacant isn't. I guess it was a serious electrical problem that knocked out the heat & pushed most of the tenants elsewhere for a few days. Odd, walking along a quiet street, many of the houses decorated with lights, & hearing a Christmas song faintly playing from one of the displays, the cheesy sound, "Deck the Hall, fa la la." Empty toy boxes on the curb with the trash.

I'll be around the corner with Gina's cats at midnight tomorrow. She has six now, one over her limit, because she had to bring a kitten back from her frame shop, it had ignited allergies in one of her valued employees. She deals with all these cats by not obsessing over them. They get a buffet of canned & dry food. Just open the cans, dump the stuff out on the saucers, leave the kitchen & let the cats deal with it. The litter boxes are in the basement & cleaned regularly, & she has a $500 vacuum that'd suck the hair off the cats if they got in the way of it. I'm not responsible for anything but food & a roll call. I can hang out as long as I want, watch satellite TV.

Last weekend I was amused for awhile by a host on a jewelry channel who didn't know the merchandise. You could tell she was reading the descriptions for the first time & then trying to sound enthusiastic enough so viewers would spend $300 for the earrings before the next bargain item came up for sale. I land on those channels by accident. The sleazy guys with the deep southern drawls selling useless collectors knives; the counter top oven that looks like a flying saucer, cooks a frozen pork roast in 30 minutes, removes a quart of oil from the meat & yet magically leaves the roast juicy & flavorful, & I'm muttering, "Gravy, you forgot about the gravy."

Watching the last 5 minutes of The Kennedy Center Honors TV show I think:
1. The only reason I care about Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg becoming senator from New York is that the state will have two senators with really annoying voices.
2. With due respect to Pete & Roger, can't the Kennedy Center stick to American honorees? Brits are eligible for all sorts of titles & fancy decorations in their own country, & we already shower them with Emmys, Oscars, & Grammys.

Comments:
Happy New Year!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?