Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Storm Watch

Now we have December weather. A springlike day followed by a stinging cold rain, & today a "Winter Storm Watch" for tomorrow with a "shifting rain line" - the weather forecaster's way of not telling Central NJ how much snowfall we'll receive - 3 inches or 10 - until we actually get it, or what proportions of snow to sleet, ice, & rain - a matter of no small concern to those who must be outside driving or walking in it & removing it from sidewalks. In hilly North Jersey they figure on snow, hope for it, the snow blowers are dusted off & ready to roll. A lot of Central Jerseyans are weather gamblers, haven't tested their machines or don't even have one. In coastal South Jersey they assume any snow will melt away within 6 hours & are always surprised when it doesn't; the high ozone level makes them optimistic. Once in awhile we get weird weather systems where it's actually colder & snowier down that way.

Meanwhile, I await fast delivery of my new jammies, which are extra warm sweatpants & shirt I then get to call "loungers," & are only jammies one puts on a few hours before one goes to bed. These are necessities for single men of my physique. Too long ago to worry about, while I still shared a bed with a woman nearly every night, I realized there were four or five months of the year when my legs were always cold, & this caused a nightly battle for control of the blankets, which weren't always sufficient even when I won. Truth is, I was commanded to wear pajamas, & I realized that if I refused there would be two sets of blankets on the bed & a two by four down the middle of it. If I was lucky.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?