Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Blessing for Edie Eustice


you fell asleep in the afternoon

when you woke that evening
you thought it was tomorrow

I read a list of lonely people
in the newspaper

when I slid off the edge of the page
I could not stop falling

we got together to remind ourselves
it's never our fault
but of course it always is

so we read some great passage
from a poem or a play
& we knew we were listening
to people who did not know us
but who remembered us anyway

when I left your house it was tomorrow
or maybe the day after tomorrow for you
& there was the moon

also a funny bird sitting
on a telephone pole
singing a piece of every song
it had ever heard

a tree had covered my car
with white blossoms

Labels: ,


Comments:
One of my "misplaced" poems for some years, unpublished. Edie mentions it from time to time, so I know she likes it; I was embarassed to admit I couldn't find a copy. I recalled the final two lines because I had considered removing them, but decided they're not a sentiment. The poem just found me, got tired of waiting I guess. Edie recently moved to PA near Easton.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?