Saturday, October 04, 2008

Strong Coffee

Check out this funny fictional letter from Gen. George "Little Mac" McClellan to Gov. Sarah Palin. He's the guy who called Lincoln a "gorilla" - something Robert E. Lee wouldn't do. Lee didn't underestimate Lincoln, but he sure took McClellan's measure.

Sara Palin attempting to link Obama to Sixties terrorism through the 65 year old philanthropic Woods Fund of Chicago is an OUTRAGEOUS SMEAR. Right out of the old Richard Nixon playbook. I mean Nixon's really old playbook circa 1950. I remember Nixon, & you, Sarah, are no Nixon. You'll pay for this, it is the worst possible political karma for you right now.

Woke up with tension headache across my forehead & in neck, I hate that. I'm in bed asking myself why before I get up:
  1. Too cold in the apartment last night. Heat not on yet.
  2. Need new pillows.
  3. Eyestrain.
  4. Final intake of caffeine yesterday in form of hot chocolate was earlier than usual.
  5. Strange Dream.
Only cure is to get up, put on socks & flannel shirt, take an aspirin with the coffee. Hitting snooze button won't help. In the dream, a yappy little dog chased a couple of mice around a room, caught a squeaky one near a fireplace, & ate it. A bit gross, but not a nightmare; I was amused by the dog, even proud of it, & I have no love for house mice.

I passed on calling a taxi to get to the dentist yesterday when I realized the rather bleak-looking day was excellent for the mile+ walk. The clouds broke open on the way home. As expected, the dentist, a short, attractive Polish woman, was not delighted to see me, but courteous & professional. She had my chart & there was nothing to do but ask her to put the insurance request through once again & have new x rays taken. The outcome didn't change. She knows I won't be a regular customer. The oral surgeon she brings in every other Saturday is getting a big piece of the insurance, but she doesn't have to refer her patients elsewhere & hope they come back. I have to trust her experience. Her office is no frills but she looks & acts competent, & touches you carefully. She doesn't advertise; name, addess, phone in yellow pages. No neon sign in her window, no happy smile posters hanging in her small waiting room, no grab for the off-the-street whitening & bonding business. She has a large, loyal clientele that somehow found her, & two professional people I trusted highly recommended her. My guess is she makes oodles of money taking any kind of insurance, working hard, & keeping her overhead low, & she flies to Poland every year & dispenses many gifts to her relatives.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?