Tuesday, October 28, 2008

snow

Not here, although temp is 39, but there's frozen something on the radar across western & northern NJ, & I bet my sister has a slippery street out on the edge of Hunterdon County, where deer eat the indian corn wreaths off her front door.

Wasn't so cold walking home last night, but I couldn't tell if the slight, infrequent plops of precip on my head were rain or ice.

A familiar encounter outside 7-11:
Wherever I've resided, there are people whose relationship with me is limited almost entirely to asking me if I have any change or a cigarette. Even when we know each other by name. This is a rather narrow view to take of fellow humanity, & for some it's a habit remaining when desperate need is gone. I used to complain about the rehab center clients mingling outside the building up the street where I attended an art class. A few of them had intimidating personalities or sizes. One time, I bought a pack of cheap, crappy brown cigarillos & passed those out generously to all the supplicants, but I knew they were almost unsmokable. After a few days no one asked me for anything.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?