Thursday, October 09, 2008

A 7-11 is never your corner store

Last night I decided I have a cold, not allergies. I get hit with allergies twice-a-year for brief periods, not seriously, it isn't a ragweed thing. I haven't had a cold in a few years, an unexplainable mystery, unless they were so mild they fooled me. I average two, fall & early summer. Sometimes a child's sneeze has certain ripe sound & I think, "Here comes my cold." When I taught piano, I considered it important to have my fall cold as early as possible, since it usually made me immune to the various mutations the kids spread around all winter. I'd clean the piano keys with Lysol & frequently remind the kids, "If you need to sneeze or cough, stop playing."

Some kids won't stop what they're doing even to throw up. Ask any elementary school teacher. Of course they booger everything they touch.
**
A 7-11 is never your corner store.

A man paid for his USA Today with spare change. The clerk counted it & said there was only 66 cents. The customer said he had counted it & there was 75 cents. This went back & forth, yes, no. I had a half pound of change in my pocket, reached in, pulled out a dime, handed it to the clerk & said, "There, he has his newspaper." The clerk, recounting the change as he put it in the register discovered he had 85 cents, the customer had given him the correct amount.

I used to stop by a 7-11 every day driving to work. I always got a medium coffee. Sometimes I bought a paper, danish, orange juice, a pack of smokes, sometimes nothing except the coffee, always paying the same clerks. One morning I was preoccupied, probably sleepy, filled up the cup, it was all of a dollar if that, & absentmindedly strolled out of the 7-11 without paying. Leaving a line of waiting customers, the clerk followed me out of the store yelling, "You didn't pay for that coffee." He was a clerk I had seen five times every week for months. Embarrassed, I went back in & paid for the coffee, but I never again set foot inside that place. I found a friendlier store, slightly out of the way, added maybe 3 minutes to the commute. The store had a middle-age woman cashier with 6 piercings in each ear, I asked her how she came to have so many & she replied her daughter had talked her into it. I also asked her "If I ever forgot to pay for my coffee, would you just remind me the next day?" She said, "Of course, what else would I do, chase you out to your car? That's silly."

Labels: ,


Comments:
I can totally identify with your coffeee stoery, I also stop in the same place pretty much every day and also spend pretty much the ame amount on the same kinds of items, it got to be I could figure out how much I was going to pay within twenty cents. We are talking serious money for just a quick stop, EVERY MORNING.
One day I went up to the counter with a cup of coffee and the young lady asked e if that was all I had that morning.
I said yes and gave her a buck. She handed it back to me and said that cup was free. I laughed and handed her the dollar back and she handed it right back and said it was free. This is right after I watched her charge two other people for the same cup of coffee.
I guess I am lucky, I don't have to drive somewhere else .
Of course, this isn't a Seven eleven.
It is a Chevron though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?