Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Birthday David

My nephew turns 40 today. Freaks out my sister a little bit, but she was young when she had him, she's no geezer.

I ignored my 40th, & the following year went to dinner with some friends, & was given a nice watch by one of them who thought it was my 40th. I said, I'm 41, but I just decided to wait a year to celebrate.

David was born when my Nana was dying - I miss her every day still - & seeing her first grandchild was the greatest going-away present possible. David should always know that he brought joy to her face. Nana was a tough lady, an independent & strong-willed Irish matriarch, had been widowed for 35 years, contentedly enough so I always suspected, & I never saw her look so soft, she melted, he went right to her heart, & we had a glimpse of the woman who decades prior had taken in her own sister's two orphaned sons & made them her own. That was a gift he gave to us, too.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?