Saturday, October 11, 2008

Doing Nothing

I have a sneezing, runny nose, low fever, tickle throat cough cold. I don't feel sick enough to take the over-the-counter meds that turn you into a numb zombie; it was a day to put up with annoying symptoms & go with the listlessness, stay inside all afternoon & read a book. Later I had to walk up the street to feed four cats, so I ran a small load of wash at Gina's, then sat on the couch wrapped in an afghan, channel surfing sports, one cat behind my head, another next to me, & when I became too drowsy - as the cats shifted from doze to serious sleep, fine tuning their positions - I turned off the TV, pushed myself home, & drank a large glass of orange juice. Gina's next-door neighbors have a spacious Sukkot booth in their driveway. The Rabbi's entire family can fit in there with room to spare. In Brooklyn, booths the size of broom closets are squeezed together in front of apt buildings.

For several years I've been catching, when I could, reruns of Da Vinci's Inquest, a great Canadian cop show set & filmed in Vancouver, shown late Saturday on Channel 2. Just when I was closing in on seeing them all & finally making sense of the show's seven year trajectory, CBS took it off. It's a very unusual show. Some plots were one episode, some carried over, some were just dropped. One of the best episodes, the two crimes weren't even solved & the next episode made no mention of them. The show gave a sense of the monotony of investigations. The coroner & the detectives are always stopping for coffee or lunch, knocking on doors where nobody's home, standing around crime scenes that utterly puzzle them, you see how they start with almost nothing & there's no CSIs arriving in Hummers. Da Vinci, an investigator for the coroner's office & a former cop, carries a small shoulder bag, & is not immune to the sights & smells of crime scenes, muttering as he pokes around a rancid or brutalized body for an I.D. Really dogged, professional cops. Guns are rarely drawn. The weather is often wretched, cold & drizzly.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I'm not sick, but the weather these past two Saturdays has been quite cold. I take Zaire to Barnsdall Park for his art class, and last week, it rained, and we were not dressed for that by a long shot. This weekend I knew it was going to be cold, but I still was not prepared for all the wind (because the part is set atop of a hill).

I brought with me a book. I perused my library and found out that I had bought Nicholas Sparks' "Nights in Rodanthe" back about 2003, but had yet to read it. Funny, it's now a movie that I will never watch. The novel is short and between the art class and lunch at the Mickey D's with the playground, I finished half of the book. I should top it off after next week's art class and lunch. It's actually pretty good thus far.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?