Tuesday, August 19, 2008

thunderstorms never materialized

Wish I could track down a video still. Shawn Johnson wore dangling white peace symbol earrings for her studio interview with Bob Costas after winning Gold in balance beam.
***
Such a pleasant evening, the thunderstorms never materialized, I walked over to CVS to refill a prescription & around the corner from there to the supermarket. Both close at ten, & I cut it close. My route tonight was entirely residential neighborhood, houses, majority of those single family. After dark, I'm not concerned with anyone residing between here & the stores, or hanging out in front of houses. It's the occasional mobile groups of young males, duos & trios or larger I watch for. Of course, 95% of them are harmless. But there is gang graffitti on mailboxes & stop signs. There's nothing over that way to interest punks, no street action, no hangouts, no corners where they can do business undisturbed. & a lot of the Hispanic & black guys who are proud of the nice houses they own around here, green lawns, flower beds, & backyard decks, look plenty tough even when they're out late giving their wives' tiny pedigree dogs a last chance to piss, an additional discouragement. I often get a kind of "humph" & head nod greeting from them as we pass, which I take as a "You're ok to be on my street at night" acknowledgement.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?