Tuesday, August 12, 2008

You can't go wrong with Elvis

Blender! polled the two candidates on their favorite songs:

BARACK OBAMA
1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Springsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am

JOHN McCAIN
1. Dancing Queen ABBA
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me ABBA
4. If We Make It Through December Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters
Barack would seem to have the cooler list. But there's calculation in it. "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone leaps out as the hippest pick on both lists, with the smallest demographic reach. The average American has never heard Nina Simone. It's easy to like McCain's choices. His taste is guileless. But there's no excuse for two ABBA songs. If you have two ABBA songs rather than two Merle songs or two Roy songs, you just don't listen to enough Merle or Roy. & do you think McCain knew the name of the "Play it again, Sam" guy? "Good Vibrations" may be something he remembered that "the kids" dig. Oddly, that along with the Satchmo number gives McCain two of the biggest marijuana AM radio hits of all time, one made for teenage potheads, the other sung by a man who smoked doob every single day including the day he recorded "What A Wonderful World." Neither of these guys making a pitch for the Spanish language vote. & where's Elvis? You still can't go wrong with Elvis.

As a long time DJ & before that a musician, I' ve been asked often enough to choose favorite songs or a favorite song. Usually, I felt I was being tested in some way by the questioner. I wouldn't do a top ten list. But I favored a number of doo wop songs as well made, poetic, pleasurable, & uncontroversial. Finally, I decided I ought to settle on a #1 so I would never have to think about it again, & chose "Little Darlin' " by the Gladiolas.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I used to participate in the Friday Random Ten that was floating around the blogosphere a while back. If I could figure out a way to put the MP3's up of the top ten, then I would continue to do it. I tried a couple of times with YouTube versions, but not many of my FRT songs were available on YouTube.

As for my top ten favorite songs, that's about as tough as asking me my favorite top ten movies. I always have to respond that I have probably a top ten set of genre movies, and then within the genre another top ten. And the same probably goes for my taste in music.

I liked your comment about Nina. I'd probably have to put a Nancy Wilson (and not the other half of Heart) up there instead of Nina, especialy her rather big hit "Face It Girl, It's Over" as one of my favorite songs. Of course there would be a Beach Boys tune on the list for me, being raised in SoCal, and on the beach, no less. Although Marvin's "What's Going On" is a very quintessential song, I actually prefer "Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby" especially since it reminds me of my low riding days in high school.

Then, you can't have a top ten list without Dion (and no, not Celine), whether on his own or with the Belmonts. And to round it out, I'd have to add John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" and the Doobie Brothers "China Grove."

Of course, I could do a top ten favorite jazz, top ten favorite classical, top ten favorite 70's, 80's, etc. Music is forever progressing, so, to me, I can't really come up with a single set of my top ten favorites. It would still have to be genre oriented.
 
I just have another comment or two, sorry!

First off, I doubt either Obama or McCain could tell the difference between Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone or Jack Jones, so I find it funny that they both have a Frank Sinatra song on their top ten lists!

Also, after reading over my comment, there was a glaring omission from me - Babs. I am a ture, die hard, Barbra Streisand fan, and could listen to her songs all day. I probably own most of her collection as it is, and if I had to identify my most favorite "artist," it would have to be her.
 
All this writing is why I settle on various "best album by" & "best song by" picks for artists, either to annoy or to end a discussion I don't feel like having about Led Zep or Bruce Springsteen.

I don't like Barbra because I don't like the emotive Broadway singing style. I prefer a cooler approach a la Peggy Lee. But I wouldn't argue the point, it's a matter of taste.
 
You are absolutely correct when it comes to Babs. Her singing, to me, was not so much that she had great pipes, but that she acted out her songs. That is the very thing that made her stand out in her early performances, and what got her noticed. You have to remember that Babs in her youth always considered herself an actress, and never a singer. Since she wasn't getting great jobs acting, she resorted to singing but chose to "emote" or "act" out her songs. She was always very picky about the tunes she sang. Becoming a famous singer was most certainly not on her plate!

Now, Peggy Lee, that's a totally different persona. I can't think of a jazz artist that stood quite as still as Peggy did most of the time, with these dramatic lyrics coming out of her mouth. I remember her hit in the late 60's or early 70's, "Is That All There Is?" It was so removed from what I had grown up knowing of Ms. Lee's voice and material, that I instantly hated the song, and felt the performance was odd from a Peggy Lee perspective. Given the family that I am from, I was berated over and over for not being able to realize what a great song that was. In time, I do think the song has a place in music lore, but it was just as hard for me to accept that song and her singing it, as it was the Richard Harris version of "McArthur Park." Although, at least Ms. Lee could sing.
 
Hardly my favorite Peggy Lee song, but it's great she had such a big hit in the rock era & won a Grammy for it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?