Monday, August 11, 2008

Most Important News

Occasionally I have testy little disagreements with posters on other websites over what constitutes the "important" news of the day. Not what ought to be important - that's a province of bloggers, political commentators, & writers pushing their special interests - but over what actually receives the most attention on a given day. Some liberals are so focused on political news to the exclusion of general news that they can't see when a news story negative to our liberal cause is falling off the cycle. Let it go.

There are six headline feeds on my My Yahoo aggregator page: New York Times, BBC, Reuters, Associated Press, Fox, & the local Star-Ledger, plus AP's current photo. I have New Jersey National Weather Service alerts; about 15 weather locations around the state & world;, sports scores for a number of pro & college teams (it gets crowded only during college basketball season); daily horoscope for Scorpio; three comics (2 more via daily e mail). Down toward the bottom of the page are feeds from several large political & music-oriented community blogs; WFMU recent playlists; a friend's Flickr photo account. I think this is more than sufficient, My clock radio radio is tuned to local CBS news. Of the news feeds, Fox is always a bit out-of-step with a couple of strange or lurid headlines, like a national version of the New York Post. I enjoy The Post, easy to browse through at 7-11 without buying it.

I think AP gives the most accurate snapshot of American news culture. Every AP Yahoo news page has a bunch of convenient tabs at the top. "Most Popular" is informative. There I get "Most Popular" & "Most Recommended" stories, & my favs, "Most Viewed" & "Most E Mailed" photos. Currently, the most e-mailed photo is of George Bush visiting the American female beach volleyball team on Saturday, with views of Misty May Treanor's & Kerri Walsh's cute asses (By my standards, Misty doesn't even have an ass). I looked in vain for beach volleyball on TV yesterday. You can have the gymnastics & diving; scoring-by-committee sports are fixed. Most viewed is of a collapsed arch in Arches National Park. AP is where I find news like "Battle of Gettysburg 'witness tree' falls in storm."

Yahoo forced a redesigned page on me a few weeks ago, deciding everyone must upgrade to their helpful doo dads & color icons. The lean page I had for years & could take in at a glance now looks cluttered.

Labels:


Comments:
After years of customized Yahoo pages, I switched when they did the forced change over. I now use MSN, which gives me a lot of similar capabilities of managing my home page. I have more pages than you -- my front page, my sports page, my entertainment page, and my tech and other news page. I don't like it when I'm forced to make changes that I don't want to make on sites that I want to specially adapt for my own viewing. So I posted in the "comment" section relating to the new Yahoo format and told them I was deleting My Yahoo and going over to My MSN. (sticking out my tongue)!
 
Thanks, I'll check it out. & let's keep asking:
Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?

SHAFT!
Right On!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?