Sunday, July 20, 2008

a small storm

Over to a friend's house three blocks away late afternoon to feed her cats, a quiet dead end street, decided to avail myself of her a/c & sofa & watch the Red Sox/Angels game. I'd brought along something to eat, thinking I might hang out. When the game ended I channel surfed for awhile. Heard the rumble of distant thunder a bit after ten & went outside & sat on the front steps, a line of storms coming from northwest, flashes illuminating the clouds, outlining them. Didn't know if they were headed my way but hoped for some cooling downdrafts. The wind kicked up, swirling warm & cool. The storms seemed to be dying out. Began to rain, drops at first, starting & stopping, then steadier, the scent of shower, nothing torrential, just what remained of a cloud-wringing. I moved under the roof overhang. The lightning stayed in the clouds, no great claps. The wind blew fresher. I could hear the rain in the trees. It was a small, friendly storm. When it ended, the three old cats had disappeared into their night places, the young one stretched out on the cool wood floor, awake, tail twitching, observing harmless invisible things. She was dismissing me. So I shut everything off, locked up & walked home, sidewalks already drying out, the air summery, the oppressive heat gone until tomorrow.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?