Monday, July 07, 2008
I don't have a cheap cell phone. There are a few reasons I need one:
- Feel safer when I'm on the other side of town.
- Summon a taxi from the train on the few nights each year I come home very late from Jersey City.
- Chat with someone while I'm walking somewhere. It's the only time I really feel like talking on the phone.
- Dictate writing to my message machine while I'm out of the house.
- Call Verizon about my home service.
My Verizon service is out today. It alarmed me at first. I paid the bill last week, it's never very high. There's been no shutoff warning. The wires seemed o.k. I was about to go up the street to call Verizon from a friend's house when it occurred to me to test the doorbuzzers, which use the phones. None worked. Then a guy from the 3rd floor came down & said his phone was off, too. The entire building is out. We were unhappy but relieved. The woman in A4 who takes care of building problems wasn't home.
Labels: home furnishings
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson