Monday, December 03, 2007

wind chill

My current apartment has several improvements over where I previously lived. It's larger. I occupy a studio-size room, but I need space for my stuff; books, records, files. So the bedroom here serves as an attic/closet. I don't have an insane man living above me & turning me into an equally crazy person. I'm within walking distance of downtown Elmora, with a Pathmark & Shoprite.

When winter arrives, I remember my last apartment was always cold. It was over an open garage, had a drafty door to the fire escape, & the baseboard heating mostly warmed up the backsides of furniture & shelves. My bed had to go against an inside wall. The desk was by the icy window. A six inch thick rug wouldn't have kept the cold from seeping up. At 11 pm every night the place went from uncomfortable to frigid. I understand I cannot expect to always go barefoot, wearing sweatpants (or cutoffs) & a light teeshirt. In my old abode I often couldn't take off my socks & sneakers until I got into bed. Tonight the wind is rattling the windows, I can feel a bit of draft, but I don't have to fight it. There's a single, old-fashioned hissing radiator in this room, & when it's cranked up it's too hot to sit on. I've even turned it half off on occasion. Later, I might have to put on an old flannel shirt.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?