Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Ted Weems beach party


Ted Weems' Orchestra: "Cheer Up," with Norma Schutt's chorus girls,
Steel Pier, Atlantic City, NJ, July 17, 1930.
The short pier in the background must be Steeplechase,
the camera in the opening frame positioned on the Steel Pier.

All I knew about Weems was that he was a pretty big musical star in his day, & his recording of "Winter Wonderland" is one of my favorite straight renditions of that song although the rarely heard first verse isn'r sung. Now I know Perry Como got his break with the band, & the lyrics for "Winter Wonderland" were written by a guy from Honesdale PA (Como doesn't sing it with Weems.) Weems has peculiar conducting motions in this short. There's no evidence they're playing the same number we're hearing.

"Winter Wonderland" by the Ted Weems Orchestra (Realaudio)

Labels: ,


Comments:
I consider myself knowing a decent amount about music no matter the generation but I can't say I ever heard Weems name before this blog entry, sorry.
 
Janet, your attitude makes me sad. Why are you sorry? I want to introduce people to music they haven't heard, not make them feel deficient. Much of the music I play on the radio I heard for the first time in the two hours prior to the show, even then not all the way through. Did you enjoy the band & dancing girls on the beach? That's what I want to know.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?