Thursday, November 22, 2007

Take a nap & go home

Never a favorite holiday of mine. Christmas without the presents, the eye candy of decorations & tree, & the "good will." Too much tryptophan. I've always liked turkey sandwiches & turkey soup more than the roast bird itself, & the pies more than the main course. The best table conversation I ever had was at some veggie friends' dinner. The most fun was a girlfriend's extended family gathering packed into a small house without a single green vegetable served, & someone brought great kielbasa & saurkraut from a Perth Amboy Polish deli, beer was considered a perfectly reasonable beverage, & it was difficult to tell when dinner began & ended because the entire event was so loose. The family was so large that the leftovers quickly disappeared into Tupperware & were carried out the door & stashed in cars before anyone else claimed them. I was just the guy an aunt/cousin/niece/sister/daughter had brought, nobody interrogated me.

Christmas season is the retail economic engine in America & there's nothing anyone can do about it. The more one resists, the more unendurable it becomes. But Thanksgiving is just over-rated. I don't understand why half the population is compelled to uproot itself & visit the other half on this day. On more Thanksgivings than I care to recall, I've felt like the odd man out. The men talked about pro football & power tools. The women congregated in the kitchen. The kids wouldn't let me play video games because I was too slow & unskilled. No wonder I'd feel an overwhelming desire to take a nap.

Labels:


Comments:
Now that I'm the old Aunt Sue and always a guest at someone else's holiday table, I get to experience big holiday meal extravaganzas from the other side. I like it better when I'm the one banging the pots and pans around. I find it a strain to make small talk with somebody else's relatives.
Suzette
 
Overheard at our Thanksgiving table yesterday...
Brother In-Law: I think that it was Mom who gave me my first beer...Miller High Life.
Me: Was it in the can?
Brother In-Law: No, it was in the mouth.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?