Thursday, October 25, 2007

Downtown

Monthly walk across town so doctor can ask if I'm feeling Seasonal Affective Disorder. Sure, but for me it's probably an improvement in my mood. I stopped in main library for a couple of large print novels, looked for a cheap stick vacuum in the only store downtown that passes for a legit dept. store, didn't expect to find one & didn't. Restocked on CD-Rs at Radio Shack. Closer to my neighborhood, the crappy Chinese restaurant went out of business. On a street crowded with clean, popular Hispanic cafes & barbecues featuring attractive young waitresses, there wasn't much demand for indifferently prepared General Tso's Chicken, desiccated ribs, & "shrimp" egg rolls. The space is now occupied by a Latino dance school.

The stretch of Elizabeth Ave. I walk has about 5 day labor agencies, all utilitarian places with metal folding chairs, bright fluorescent lighting, & a single desk at one end. Same day pay. The paperwork probably requires minimal personal information. If that's discouraging, there's both Army & Army Reserve recruiting stations on the same street closer to the County Courthouse. The Navy, Marine, & National Guard offices are couple of blocks over, The Marine recruiters wear the spiffiest uniforms, but the Army guys have a pimped up Humvee they roll out for street festivals & parades: Go ahead, sit in it, we'll give you one of your own, & a legal gun, too. Iraq? Hehe, that'll be over by the time you finish your advanced training in, let's see, how does Television & Video Production sound for an Army career? Yeah, last I heard the school for that was in Honolulu.

Labels:


Comments:
Monthly walk across town so doctor can ask if I'm feeling Seasonal Affective Disorder. Sure, but for me it's probably an improvement in my mood.

Bob, I laughed out loud at your comment. Is that inappropriate? If not, I gotta use that somewhere.
 
Whenever the shrink comes into the waiting room, looks at the appointment list, & waves for me, I imagine him thinking, "Good, I get 10 minutes with a lucid patient who doesn't have a felony conviction attached to his file." Sometimes for his cultural edification I identify the classical music playing softly on his office radio.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?