Saturday, September 01, 2007

Souvenirs of me

That was a strange summer, 1992. Much would change for the better by the following summer. I was working at Pearl Arts, mostly frame dept, very boring, & the book area I wanted to concentrate on was still neglected & wouldn't shape up for another year. I was hanging out a lot at the Broadway Central, a bar in South Amboy that had an odd Soho atmosphere because it was owned by a a pretty good artist. The place had no jukebox & the sound on the TV was rarely turned up, but the owner's taste in music was good, I'm not a bar type & I felt comfortable there nursing beers. There were decent bands on weekends.

The woman in "Balloon" came into Pearl for frames for a photography show, & it turned out we had mutual acquaintances. Later I learned they wouldn't have given her good character references. She had been a club dancer, nice body, without projecting much sensuality, maybe she could turn it on & off, & she was quite strange. I sensed she was probably bisexual. We had that one "date" at Seaside Heights. We didn't click. I made the mistake of loaning her two favorite records she found looking through my radio show bag in my car, appreciating her interest & thinking if she got into them we'd have something to talk about. Never saw those records again. She "forgot" them the few times we got together. Since I knew nothing was gonna happen between us, it annoyed me enough to drop by her house unannounced, she wasn't home, so I asked her crone of a mom to look for them, which was pointless. Maybe she played & enjoyed them, I hope so, but in'92 I wasn't of a mind to replace my records with CDs at ripoff prices. I think she kept them as souvenirs of me.

Labels:


Comments:
I don't know why, but there are very few summers I can pinpoint to an actual year. If you give me a song or a movie that is out I can do it easily, always could, otherwise it's just a jumbled mess. At least I get in the neighborhood of years:)
 
The Waiting Room in Rahway had some sort of connection with the Broadway Central, but my memory from 1992 is quite hazy at this point, probably clouded by the amount of time I spent downing pints in the Waiting Room.
 
Don't know the connection. When I moved to downtown Rahway I rarely went to the Broadway, since I could walk to the Waiting Room & not worry that two or three beers would get me a DWI. The bars had similar local clientele.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?