Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't taser me I am a student

Automated phone call from PSE&G today a reminder I hadn't paid my electric bill in couple of months. The cumulative charges are less than what homeowners run up every month, but the utility cuts off service on length of nonpayment, not on the amount. The rates have gone up over the past year. The little bar graph in the bill shows that my usage is consistent - rises a lot during summer & a little during winter, falls in spring & fall. So I paid it along with an overdue phone bill, which is always the minimum charge since I use phone cards for long distance. I switched to phone cards a few years ago when a dial up ISP, without my realizing it, added a number to the list that incurred a low but continuous AT&T long distance charge that knocked me over when I got the bill. So I canceled the long distance service, switched to phone cards, & never went back. It's annoying to dial all those numbers, but at least I know who & where I'm calling, & I make few distance calls anyway. My $20 cards expire before I use them up.
***

I watched the video of the Florida student getting tasered when he wouldn't relinquish the microphone at a John Kerry Q&A. Yeah, I'd say it's excessive use of force by campus police. But on the other hand, it's damned foolish to put up any kind of resistance to cops carrying tasers & loaded guns (note tattoo on cop's forearm), even in a lecture hall that John Kerry couldn't generate enough student interest to fill. It was different than the sorry Rodney King beating, where a bunch of thug L.A. cops assaulted a man laying on the ground & when he squirmed & rolled in pain they yelled at him to stay still & beat him some more because he didn't conveniently become unconscious. I'm certain Andy's lawyer is already mulling over the long-term possibilities & I hope he wins enough money for graduate degree tuition at a more respectable university. The large number of drunken &/or criminally-inclined students in the University of Florida student body & on its athletic teams certainly demands a well-armed campus police force, but it's doubtful any of them would have attended the Kerry function.

Comments:
The parade of policemen that went before me when I was on jury duty recently was surprising. Although they were all in their 30's, none of them had been policemen for all that long.

One was a construction manager 3 years earlier and one was a Verizon customer service supervisor 2 years ago. I always thought that being a policeman was a start-to-finish career, but I guess not.

It makes me wonder if Verizon customer service reps spend their time wishing they were in a position to tasar people who annoy them.
 
The few people I knew who became cops showed an interest in that direction while in high school. But more & more people keep their career options open, since there's so little job security in the private sector.

New York City wonders why it can't recruit enough police, or keep them - the starting salary hasn't changed in 20 years, & the top pay is pathetic.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?