Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Early Morning Rain

Constant thunder rumbling in the distance got me out of bed late last night & looking at the online radar. Intense storms were approaching, one cell with a purple vortex icon signifying cloud rotation & possible tornado. Fortunately, it disappeared. I shut down & went back to bed knowing I wouldn't fall back sleep for another hour. The storms came, lightning & thunder, & rain splattering on the metal a/c outside the window. But not much wind. My mom didn't need radar. A light sleeper, distant thunder vibrated her antennae. A certain frequency pulled her out of bed, probably in a semi-somnambulant state, she'd walk like a zombie through the house in total darkness shutting every window facing the direction of the approaching storm, never stumbling or bumping into anything, make a quick bathroom visit, & return to bed. I had a child's normal fear of night time thunderstorms. Now I like them, except when they vibrate my antennae too much at 4 am.

I'm filling in for Dave Mandl at WFMU from 8 to 11 tonight. Might even play "Woman From Tokyo" by Deep Purple. But I have to get from here to the train station in air like warm pea soup, which means packing a spare tee shirt in my backpack.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?