Thursday, July 26, 2007

Three Women

1.

she sits at home making puppets
each one the better life of a friend

when she asked her man if he loved her
he paused before he said yes
which was the same as no

2.

she exhibited her photographs
cats & butterflies
posed like dolls
in a dollhouse

she has no home

I don't want to hurt you
she told me
as she turned into a mannikin

3.

she said I was intriguing
when she fed me stuffed mushrooms
at an art show reception in the bar

I'm just a babe in the woods
I said

maybe you ought to leave the woods

can I drop a trail of breadcrumbs?

she said she had a mirror over her bed
but the last I saw of her that night
she was climbing the stairs
to the room where poets hibernate
when they put white powder up their noses
instead of singing for their lovers

(1992)

All on the same night, in the same place, a bar in South Amboy NJ.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?