Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Lives Voldemort Dies

Bought a 2007 calendar today. I always wait for the half-price sales in January, but this year I couldn't find any. So I was recycling 2006 with a Sharpie. I spotted a bin of calendars tucked away in corner at Drug Fair, one with lighthouse photos on top, one dollar. It's the kind of calendar you feel bad throwing away at the end of the year. I celebrated with a 99 cent medium iced coffee coupon at Dunkin' Donuts. I collected a bunch of those lasr month out of the weekly ad flyer bags dumped in the lobby. I would've used the large cappucino coupon but the "barista" was an unfamiliar high school age kid, I figured he was new, & he was. Fumbled on the register. Briefly stopped by the branch library, too. Not a lot of business there on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Probably not a popular shift for the librarians, either. Elmora being a heavily Jewish neighborhood, I think the library should be open Sunday afternoons, like Millburn & Teaneck.

I watched Little Miss Sunshine, a lovely movie with a bleak heart, optimism on the surface, no hope underneath. The actual pageant is insane. But those little girls, including Olive Hoover, feigning a sexuality they can't comprehend, are later convinced they can win American Idol, or at least become Miss New Jersey. The latter is a possibility. It's considered a "small" movie, yet the production credits at the end list hundreds of names, they all got paid, most of them belong to unions. Small is eight-million dollars & no big stars.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?