Thursday, May 24, 2007

What I Did Today

slept late
read newspaper in Dunkin' Donuts
nothing important

changed airfilter on car
Anne came outside
we sat in hot sunlight on grass
pink undies beneath her shorts
I stared at her legs
we complimented each other's green tomatoes
her little pumpkins
my lettuce

watched Mount St. Helen tv show
explosion with nuclear neck & hat
dust & gases blown into stratosphere
great sunsets in Montana

later, ants digging themselves out
microrganisms growing stagnant soup
"That sure smells," said an entomologist
to a microbiologist. He coptered up
for the bugs, not the stinking fumeroles

a banzai in my bathroom
tiny pinecones my desire

for dessert, a mouse running through a diner
the waitress didn't see it
even when I stood up & pointed
two customers walked out
I ordered cheesecake & coffee

(1981)
Editors of little magazines liked my poems about nothing, publishing them alongside important poems about something.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?