Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Raritan Bay At Night

Some people are waiting
for their tide to come in,
but I'm waiting for the ancient race
to return to the Bay.
I'm watching
for the bonfires, & for
the dancers on Sandy Hook.
I'm not tempted
to light the fire myself,
as much as the weeds
might desire the flame.

If the dancers dance,
I won't have to tell them
the crabs aren't edible,
when Henry Hudson is arriving,
& the Spaniards are already here.
They'll remember in the morning.

(1977)

Unlike western states, one must stretch to imagine the area known as New Jersey prior to the European invasion. Some places here are easier for it than others.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?