Friday, May 25, 2007

Eight Things

I've voted for Republicans, but only in Linden NJ.

When asked my occupation, I usually answer, "failed poet."

I flunked geometry in my sophomore year in high school, then aced it in summer school to prove I wasn't stupid.

The single most unfair thing my mom did to me personally was to make me eat cooked yellow squash, which I detested. I was not a picky eater & deserved a "bye" on that vegetable.

The most memorable, accurate observation I heard my eldest brother make was in regard to our maternal grandparents: "Grandpa's treated Grandma like an idiot for so long that now she's become one." This was years before Grandma was really old.

As an adult, I've never lived anywhere I thought of as "home," although I resided 12 years in one apt & 11 in another. Altogether, I've lived in 12 towns.

Last year, I aired a 45 minute set on WFMU using a computer-generated random number sequence to select the songs, mostly R&B, most of which I'd never heard & did not listen to ahead of time.

I don't expect to have another love relationship. As a result, even the best days suck a little bit. I've met people who also don't expect anything, but are content. That's what 25 years of marriage & raising kids & no privacy, & then a divorce will do. Extended families are especially discouraging. Please elaborate, Bob. Ok. One can tell if one's position on the potentially-significant other's list of important relationships follows children, grandchildren, parents, children's spouses, pets, ex-spouses, siblings, nieces & nephews, uncles & aunts, cousins, & old drinking buddies. It's selfish & useless to resist by offering & asking for more time & attention. The best recourse one has is holding up like a mirror a similar tangle of beings on one's own side. If one doesn't have a tribe, one can always adopt the other's in its entirety & humbly integrate into pre-existing order of things - every major holiday, birthday party, wedding, baptism, graduation, & anniversary dinner.

tagged by Sharon, but I'm a cul-de-sac.

Comments:
Thanks for playing along.

It took me a long time to view where I live now as home. I still have an unnatural attachment to where I grew up, but as happy years here overshadow lousy years there, I think we have a winner.

Y'never know about the love relationship. Maybe it will come, if you're not actively seeking. Maybe not. The most important thing is if you're comfortable in your own skin.
 
The most satisfying relationship I ever had - which lasted all of three years & ended ten years ago - just happened. Such an unlikely, unexpected pairing, & the way it came together - was poetry. It was different than all that had come before because when it was over I did not regret much about it. Nothing I could have done would have saved it, & yet, had I known the future (& in a way, I think I did), I would have gone into it anyway. But I cannot say I am comfortable in my own skin.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?