Thursday, April 05, 2007

Maundy Thursday

Will I go to church on Easter? Mulling it over. The Methodist up the street says on the sign,"Join a growing church." But the growing part is the Brazilian mission that meets Sunday afternoons. The Lutheran about a mile away is the only obviously liberal protestant church in town except for the gloomy Episcopalian in the main shopping district. I'm not into either of those denominations. That leaves 2nd Presbyterian in Rahway, a church I know has plenty of empty pews, always meant to try it out when I lived there, never got further then looking in on their Saturday lunch program & finding out they really didn't need volunteers, there didn't seem to be much else going on in the place. For an older mainstream church with a small congregation, Easter is probably a good day to go for the first time, I'll attract less attention as an outsider. Called for the service time, 10 am, the man on the phone was very pleased, "Are you a visitor? Live in town?" We'll see if I can get up, throw on presentable clothes, catch the train, & walk in with 5 minutes to spare. I'm not sure why. Maybe curiousity about who else is there. A lot of aging churches around here have almost no younger people left in them.

I always find churches I might like in places too far away. There's two in Point Pleasant Beach only blocks apart, a Presbyterian with an enlightened minister who posts his sermons online, & a small United Methodist downtown that has good supper events, a beach service, picnics, & an annual trip to a Blue Claws game. Shore churches are also accustomed to visitors.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Again, just visiting and telling myself that someday I need to start writing.....you always inspire me with your creativity and talent.

After evolving from Catholic to Born Again Christian to University educated non-denominational(!?) I decided to visit a different church every Easter because IT just was the right thing to do.

After many, many years I was finally guided to a church that I have been attending for almost 1 year. No Devil tempting, damnation/judgement, turn or burn -ore of a "Help God help you" and "Live!" place.(I sometimes need that kind of a push.)

Doesn't hurt that it has 3 Sunday service with hundreds/thousands of members making it very easy to blend in.

Take care and Happy Spring
Greetings from So Cal
 
Sounds like we are in the same boat, yet I have little souls depending on my decision. Sounds like an easy choice when put that way.....hmmm. Just browsing through Blogger and you popped up. Go for the book.
 
The only congregation I'm in now is comprised of friends like Rain over at street prophets, which would be a great "church."
 
Since the Archdiocese is pushing my little parish for a forced merger with nearby St. Mary's we had a combined Mass at St. Mary's Thursday night. The church was standing room only, probably the first time I saw that in a church in 25 years. We enjoyed three choirs: the English-language choir, the Filipino (Tagalog) choir and the Latino choir.
Fr. Bill reflected on that evening's Gospel of John 13:1-15, which reminds us that our purpose on earth is not to seek accolades and approval of our peers but to serve others in need. Jesus' example of washing his disciples feet would be like my Mayor coming by my house to clean out my cats' litter box.
 
If you can get Hizzoner to do it, I'll write a blog post titled, "Rahway Mayor Takes Action on Toxic Waste Site."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?