Monday, April 16, 2007

Spring Struggles

Spring struggles on my street. The Contrarian has flood photos from Rahway NJ.

Emergency vehicle sirens all around here yesterday. My immediate neighborhood had only minor street catch basin flooding. Other parts of the city fared badly. The Elizabeth River drops quickly after the rain ends. I almost made the mistake yesterday of going out during a lull in the rain without an umbrella. Came back inside to retrieve it, & the torrential downpour started up again before I reached the 7-11 two long blocks away. I hadn't realized how much rain had fallen. This used to be the "Cherry Hill" section of the city, there is a slight hill with a large apartment building at the top, & the street - Cherry Street - was a river on the other side of it, flowing down toward the convenience store. But most of that water was draining away & causing problems elsewhere.

Last year I got a flannel-lined sports coat that I figured would be perfect for April, an alternative to the baggy hooded gray sweat jacket. Too cold to wear it. I've worn it once, to a party on warm night in early January. A correspondent outside Johnstown PA has drifting snow today & a tree tilting precariously against the electric lines.

Labels: ,


Comments:
As I've often written, I try and stay away from blogging about the weather except in the case of a huge rain/snow storm like this week. But thank you for reminding me that this April has felt more like February. By now, most of the trees would be in full bloom, with many trees already dropping their blossoms in favor of young green leaves. My lawn still looks brown and lifeless.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?