Saturday, April 28, 2007

Church rummage sale

Stopped by rummage sale at the Methodist Church, more interested in seeing the inside of the building than buying anything. Bought two paperbacks, one I later realized I've read. It was a big sale, & I'm not sure they did that well over two days, there was a lot of furniture & clothing left & they hadn't promoted it around the neighborhood. All the multipurpose rooms had plenty of goods, an hour left in the sale. I wondered, What will they do with all this stuff? Move it out? Keep it in the basement until next sale, like the Episcopal in downtown Rahway, where I'd visit the same junk twice-a-year? The rooms - including the big one with the stage- did not look like they got much regular use, sad to say. No indications of an active Sunday school or nursery. None even of the Brazilian mission that meets there as sort of a Methodist church within a church. Sometimes the missions take over their host Methodist churches. Only a couple of the ten or so people from the church were elderly, but none were young except for one lanky teenager, all wearing green teeshirts. The kitchen crew had closed up. All those volunteers are also keeping Epworth UMC in business. The sign out front says, "Join a growing church." I don't believe it.

About the only item that could grab me at a church rummage sale is an old radio at a cheap price. I Iisten to Mets games on a 60s white plastic Sears AM radio, no clock, cannot recall when or where I got it, not a collector's item, I love it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?